Taproom Assistant Manager
Taproom Assistant Managers are responsible for managing daily operations of Highland’s guest experience and Hospitality service staff in any of Highland’s venues which include the Taproom, Meadow, Event Center, Barrel Room, and Rooftop. Taproom Assistant Managers may also oversee service elements implemented as part of Highland’s campus amenities which include trails and volleyball courts, and disc golf course. A Taproom Assistant Manager is scheduled to open and close each daily shift and manages Hospitality Ambassadors in a service-oriented team environment. Taproom Assistant Managers are responsible for monitoring daily sales, labor goals, service standards, sales initiatives, and cash handling.
Taproom Assistant Managers are expected to show mastery and enthusiasm for all elements of Highland’s guest experience which may include duties comparable to a host, server, busser, bartender, retail associate, or event staff. In addition to serving as a shift leader, Taproom Assistant Managers are responsible for administrative duties to facilitate a “not to miss” brewery destination for guests and a profitable, safe, service-oriented work environment.
FLSA Status: Full-Time Hourly, Non-exempt
Reports to: Taproom Manager
Location: Asheville, NC
Essential Job Functions
- Serve as manager on duty (MOD) for public open hours and proactively monitor daily service recognizing opportunities for the growth and development of Highland’s guest experience
- Oversee Hospitality staff during service which includes managing changes to the shift schedule, leading pre-shift, service position and break rotation, staff cuts to facilitate volume and labor expenses, staff incident reports, continuous service coaching and other staff needs as required
- Oversee guest relations during service which may include entertaining special guests, offering complimentary products or services, conflict resolution, enforcement of ABC laws and regulations, proper reporting of guest incidents, and other guest needs as required
- Oversee daily financials during service which includes daily sales reporting, cash handling, safe counts and reconciliation, payments to vendors, processing refunds and comps, staff tip reporting and other daily financial obligations as needed
- Record daily shift notes to communicate challenges and opportunities to Hospitality lead team
- Demonstrate and enforce Highland’s service standards to maintain a positive, collaborative work environment
- Oversee food truck communication and scheduling for public open hours and special events
- Oversee inventory and ordering of Hospitality janitorial supplies, cleaning chemicals, paper products, other service supplies and Hospitality staff uniforms
- Collaborate with the Taproom Manager in developing sales initiatives and upsell opportunities for team execution to ensure revenue goals are met
- Collaborate with Hospitality lead team (Merchandise Coordinator, Events Coordinator, Bar Operations Coordinator, Campus Amenities Coordinator) on retail initiatives, execution of events, service of programming, and beer releases as they pertain to daily service
- Show mastery in POS software and retail operating systems
- Assist in quarterly inventory accurately and efficiently
- Attends weekly manager and Hospitality lead team meetings. Brings an enthusiasm for programming and growth to our Taproom offerings.
- Guide guests through Highland’s array of local craft beer in accordance with brand standards
- Anticipate guest needs proactively and conscientiously in a dynamic environment which may include beverage service, selling merchandise and packaged beer, moving seating arrangements, clearing and cleaning tables, serving guests at tables, and directing guests around campus
- Oversee the appearance of Highland’s venues before, during and after service which includes cleaning glassware and tables, trash removal, stocking supplies, and restroom cleaning
- Perform campus tours for guests and vendors as necessary
- Understand and adhere to North Carolina alcohol laws and permits specific to Highland
- Maintain knowledge of the Highland brand story, beer styles, campus amenities, family history to educate and communicate our mission and vision to guests
- Must be self-motivated with calm demeanor under pressure
- Perform other duties as needed and assigned
This position is 30-40 hours, five days per week. Weekly schedule is dictated by public open hours, service needs and meeting schedule. Public open hours vary by season but are daily and most holidays. Ability and willingness to work nights and weekends is required.
- High school diploma required. Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality Management, Business or Tourism preferred.
- Must be at least 21 years of age in accordance with NCABC laws
- Two years of experience as a host, server, bartender, or tour guide in the hospitality field required and one year in hospitality management preferred.
- Enthusiasm for craft beer and delivering an incredible guest experience is a must
- Experience working in hospitality under North Carolina COVID requirements preferred
Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong work ethic and ability to take initiative in delivering exceptional guest service with pride
- Pleasant yet assertive personality with the ability to work with all types of people
- Open minded and flexible with the ability to adapt quickly with new skills and procedures
- Strong interpersonal communication and leadership with a keen attention to detail
- Excellent time management and verbal/written communication skills a must
- Must have reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 applications including Teams
- Cicerone server level one certification required within one year of employment
- Forklift driver certification required within one year of employment
As this position is working in a brewery, the physical demands of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Standing for long periods of time
- Bending, twisting, reaching overhead, lifting up to 30lbs frequently & up to 50lbs occasionally
- Working with cleaning chemicals
- Working in both indoor and outdoor service areas with inclement weather at times
At-Will Employment: Employment with Highland Brewing Co. may be terminated by either Highland or the employee at any time with or without cause or notice.