Hospitality Lead - Guest Services Host
The Guest Services Host position will serve as the lead host for Highland Brewing and ensure the highest level of guest service is demonstrated at entry points around the property which may include the Taproom, Meadow, Volleyball Courts, Event Center, Barrel Room or Rooftop. This position will focus on greeting and directing guests in accordance with Highland brand standards and those required by State and local municipalities to adhere to COVID related guidelines. This position will also be responsible for developing programming around our on-property trails. Prior to COVID reopening requirements, Highland Brewing did not have a host position. Understanding there may not be a need for a host post-COVID, the Guest Services Lead will be cross trained, when appropriate and directed by the Hospitality Manager, into another comparable role which may include private events, onsite event support, merchandise and tours, or marketing support.
*Please note, at the time of posting the Hospitality Manager position is vacant. Direction and oversight will be taken from the Hospitality Director and/or the Assistant Bar Manager.
FLSA Status: Full-Time Hourly, Non-exempt
Reports to: Hospitality Director
Essential Job Functions
- Ensure all guests are greeted and welcomed in a friendly, courteous manner to deliver a best in class first impression for guest visiting Highland Brewing
- Ensure guests are shown to a seating area, either inside or outside, considering venue age restrictions based and/or group size
- Must have the ability to problem solve and maximize seating which may include moving tables, chairs, and rearranging guest seating areas
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate guest needs proactively and conscientiously in a dynamic hospitality environment
- Maintain a clean, orderly appearance of the work area during the day to maintain guest flow
- Maintain control of venue capacity and communicate with guests appropriately when venues reach volume.
- Update and distribute taproom menus as necessary
- Assist in clearing and cleaning tables and seating areas as necessary
- Assist guests with merchandise and other “to-go” items as necessary
- Ability to work with other members of the Hospitality lead team which includes bar, merchandise and onsite event leads to facilitate ongoing training for the guest services position as well as changing needs for the Highland guest experience
- Update SOPs and best practices for Highland host staff as needed to adhere to Highland brand standards and safety protocols related to COVID
- Will be responsible for training new host team members and ensuring best practices are met by anyone hosting on behalf of Highland Brewing
- Facilitate the creation of a reservation system, if necessary, for public spaces
- Assist Hospitality Manager with development of maps, signage needs, walking tours and guest information around our trail systems on property
- Maintain a working knowledge of North Carolina alcohol laws and policies regarding HBC permits and policies and adhering to the law during events.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the Highland brand, our beer styles, property, family history and leadership to educate and communicate our story to guests
- Must be self-motivated with calm demeanor under pressure.
- Performs other duties as needed and assigned.
- High school diploma required. Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality Management or Communications preferred.
- Must be at least 18 years of age in accordance with NCABC laws
- Two years of experience as a host or tour guide in the hospitality field preferred but enthusiasm for delivering an incredible guest experience is a must.
- Experience working in hospitality under North Carolina COVID requirements preferred.
- Must be have the ability to maintain a positive, engaging demeanor under pressure while anticipating guests needs in a timely manner
- Pleasant yet assertive personality with the ability to work with all types of people
- Open minded and flexible with the ability to adapt quickly in a team environment.
- Strong interpersonal communication and leadership with a keen attention to detail.
- Excellent time management and verbal/written communication skills a must.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team
- Excellent phone skills and legible handwriting
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 applications
Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to lift up to 30lbs is required
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and do physically demanding work is required.
- Must have reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
- Anticipated work schedule includes 3 host shifts, 1 merch shift, and one administrative shift for trail development and approx. 35-40 hours weekly. Willingness to work weekends and evenings required.
- At the time of posting, COVID based hospitality roles are in place. This position may be required to perform other guest services positions including merch, sanitation, and private event support as directed by the Hospitality Manager.