Food & Beverage Director
This position is responsible for creating a guest experience that reflects our status as brewery in the top 1% of independent breweries in the country. The job is to align the onsite experience with the Highland brand – consistently excellent, lively, enthusiastic, authentic, forward-thinking.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: President
Location: Asheville, NC
Essential Job Functions
· Build all aspects of our onsite guest experience to align with the Highland brand (consistently excellent, lively, enthusiastic, authentic, forward-thinking), including and not limited to: beer knowledge, safety, ambiance, customer service, cleanliness, and comfort
o “All aspects” refers to:
§ all venues - tasting room, deck, rooftop, meadow, event center and other venues to be developed
§ daily activities, private events, and public events
§ beer, food, merchandise, tours, parking, music and other entertainment
· Build a can’t-miss destination for Asheville visitors
· Be the hometown favorite for locals
· Build a culture of constant improvement
· Lead hospitality operations to align with the Highland brand, including but not limited to: staff, facilities, entertainment, events, services, products and outside vendors/partners
· Address and resolve hospitality-related complaints and concerns
Key collaborative work outside the department
· With Marketing:
o Pursue and secure new and improved sources of revenue related to hospitality and entertainment
o Assess and evaluate proposed events and partnerships to determine suitability with Highland brand and goals
· With Event Sales Professional on strategy and execution of hundreds of events annually
· With VP Operations/facilities team on facilities management, seasonal openings/closings, special event needs
· With Sales Department for VIP Guest tours/tastings, etc
· With associated departments such as brewing, outside event organizers and vendors/partners
· Create and manage annual budget, with proactive planning for capital needs, in a cooperative effort with other team leaders, Controller, and President
· Establish and maintain monthly budget. Monitor performance, adjust operations or goals as needed
· Oversees daily financial recording, reconciling, and reporting
· Establish Hospitality as a leading department within the company – in thought, staff selection and development, customer service, business savviness, teamwork, execution
· Schedule personnel and logistics
· Ensure all grant-related required procedures, measurements, reporting are accurate and completed timely (Due Jan 2019 and Jan 2020)
· Lead the creation of a food program – to be developed!
· Bachelor’s degree in hospitality management, marketing or business administration
· Master’s in Business Administration, preferred
· Certified Cicerone - level one required within 6 months of hire
· Five years hospitality management experience with a concentration in financial management, developing budgets, staff training and development, marketing, business plans and strategic planning
Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Business acumen
· Problem solving orientation
· Tactical reasoning
· Initiative to learn
· Advanced organizational skills
· Ability to manage cash and other Highland assets
· Working knowledge of the craft brewing industry
· Working knowledge of major beer styles, including origins and flavor profiles
· Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, with strong skills in Excel
· Ability to stand for long periods of time and do physically demanding work is required.
· Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. is required.
· Willingness to work events on evenings and weekends is required.
· Willingness to travel overnight is required.
At-Will Employment: Employment with Highland Brewing Co. may be terminated by either Highland or the employee at any time with or without cause or notice.