Highland Brewing Company is seeking experienced candidates for our Cellar to join the brewhouse team in our hilltop brewery, event center and meadow complex.
If you meet the following qualifications and are capable of working in a fast paced, artisanal and challenging environment, we would welcome the opportunity to review your resume. Please send cover letter, salary requirements and resume to Careers@HighlandBrewing.com.
Responsible for assisting brewhouse staff in all areas of brewery operations including brewing, cleaning, sanitation, and equipment maintenance. The result of this person’s job is a stronger brewing team and the best possible beer.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Reports to: Head Brewer
Location: Asheville, NC
Essential Job Functions
- Cleans, sanitizes, and purges tanks according to set standards
- Ensures work area is clean and well organized
- Ensures tank exteriors, floors, drains, parts, and hoses are cleaned regularly
- Monitors and records results of fermentation and cellaring of beer through taste panel, gravities, cell counts, and diacetyl testing, and yeast dumping
- Performs dry hops safely, and efficiently, minimizing opportunity for oxidation, and eliminating the possibility of contamination
- Ensures that product is free from microbiological contamination
- Ensures equipment is maintained and pump seals are replaced on a regular basis
- Centrifuges, filters and carbonates beer as required
- Documents production and movement of beer as required to meet regulatory requirements
- Maintains complete and comprehensive process tracking logs as requested
- Follows safety procedures and wears PPE
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High-school diploma
- Associate degree in Brewing and Distillation Science preferred
- One year of relevant experience in a production brewery is preferred
Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understanding of fermentation science and the elements of brewing
- Ability to install, maintain, and modify most mechanical components of the fermentation, conditioning, filtration, and packaging systems
- Ability to modify processes (under a brewer’s supervision) to insure consistency and high quality of finished beer
- Ability to perform under pressure and prioritize multiple demands
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of recipes, processes, procedures, and other internal information
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and do physically demanding work is required.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. is required.
- Willingness to work on and around potentially dangerous equipment/machinery is required.
- Willingness to work with strong cleaning agents is required.
- Willingness to work in an environment with high noise levels is required.
- Willingness to rotate between first and second shifts is required.
- Willingness to occasionally work events on evenings and weekends is required.