Brewer 1 (3rd Shift Position)
The Brewer 1 is responsible for cellaring, brewing and maintaining the brewery facility and equipment according to established SOP. Brewer 1 executes the production schedule under the direction of the Brewing/Cellar Lead(s) and works toward the production of beer that is consistent, to spec. and on schedule. The Brewer 1 works to maintain a safe, clean and organized brewery.
- Beer: Works independently and as part of the team to produce beer according to quality specifications while minimizing loss and adhering to SOP.
- Business: Looks for opportunities to improve operations, update SOPs and innovate processes.
- People: Sets personal development goals and works with managers to advance professionally as part of the Highland Team.
- Place: Maintains a clean brewery, keeps a vigilant eye towards safety and upholds Preventative Maintenance schedule.
FLSA Status: Full-Time Hourly, Non-exempt
Reports to: Production Brewing Manager, Cellar & Yeast Manager
Location: Asheville, NC
Essential Job Functions
- Fermentor and Brite tank CIP/SIP, facility cleaning and maintenance
- Beer transfers, Lenticular filtration, Centrifugation and carbonation
- Dry hopping, fruiting and coffee additions to fermenting beer
- Yeast and hops waste removal and offloading
- Assists Cellar & Yeast manager in the harvesting and management of yeast
- Sets up hoses and fittings for the day’s filters/brews
- Trains actively to advance to Brewer 2:
- Produces quality wort according to Highland specifications including, but not limited to, target gravity, IBU, color, and volume
- Communicates all pertinent batch/job related information at shift changeover
- Receives raw materials, rotates stock, takes inventories, and monitors raw material performance
- Monitors and records beer transfer data from Mash through Brite tank
- Completes required paperwork accurately and in a timely manner
- Follows all established safety procedures and wears appropriate PPE
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum of high-school diploma is required
- Certification from recognized Brewing program and/or equivalent industry experience preferred
- Minimum 1 year working in a production brewery setting strongly preferred
- Experience operating beer clarification equipment: Lenticular filter, Plate and Frame filter or Centrifuge is strongly preferred.
Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understanding of fermentation science and the elements of brewing
- Understanding of microbiological science and sanitary practices
- Understanding of industry standard brewing and cellaring practices
- Ability to (independently or under guidance) install, maintain and modify most mechanical components of the brewhouse, fermentation, and filtration systems
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems related to product and/or equipment
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and work to meet deadlines in a fast paced setting
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of recipes, processes, procedures, and other internal information
- Ability to work both independently and within a team
- Be an excellent team player
- This position covers 3rd Shift (10 hour overnights 8pm- 6am) with occasional need to work 2nd shift (1pm-9pm)
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and do physically demanding work is required.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. is required.
- Willingness to work on and around potentially dangerous equipment/machinery is required.
- Willingness to work in an environment with high noise levels is required.
- Willingness to work in an environment with temperature extremes is required.
There are two positions available for Brewer 1, the positions are primarily 3rd shift but will rotate to 2nd shift as needed. If you are interested in applying and meet the above qualifications, please submit your resume and cover letter by using the “Apply Now” button.